NEWTON TOWNSHIP MINUTES 5-14-2013
Newton Township Trustees met in regular session on Tuesday, Ralph Stotts, Dave Searls, and Norm Gill, Township residents; Larry Taylor, Road Maintenance Supervisor; Allen Deaver, Larry Geiger, Craig Knox and Jeff Lloyd, Fire Department; James R. Smith, Robert Stephenson, and Charles R. Elson, Township Trustees; Derek J. Dozer, Township Fiscal Officer.
Meeting was called to order by Trustee Elson at 7:00pm.
Pledge to the flag was led by Charles R. Elson.
Agenda was approved as read.
Minutes were approved as presented.
Ralph Stotts Came to speak on chip sealing Stine Rd. Mr. Stotts would suggest patching the road first prior to chip sealing. Heavy trucks travel that road. Just want to see options. <Discussion on heavy trucks traveling Stine and Wesley Chapel> There are 2 new homes going in on Stine as well. Trustee Stephenson said he sent out 30+ letters to residents and only 2 showed up.
Dave Searls What is the future of the roads in Newton Township? Same story. Applied for grants, etc. He feels like a road maintenance levy should be put on the ballot. You will be out of a job in 4 years if you do it but you 3 guys have to change. We need load limits.
Norm Gill Rucker Road needs cold patch. There is a 30 foot swell in it and the road is coming apart. Timber trucks pulled 10,000 out there. What are you doing with Lower Kroft this year? Have been working for 3 years trying to get this mile done. The only alternative I have is, all the letters . I have to say you are doing your best. The only alternative I have is to get my road done is to take one of your seats next year, even though I think you are doing a good job.
Fire Department Business:
- Presented April numbers.
- Medic 1081 refurb cost was raised to $16,104. Trustee Stephenson made a motion to move ahead with the refurb and raise the approved amount payable to Horton to $16,104. Elson seconded. All 3 trustees were in agreement with the motion.
Chief Deaver reporting:
- Rescue had an exhaust issue.
- Got elbow for generator. List will be working on that.
- Birds = have started to work on bird dropping problem at front door.
- Backdoor was broken to FD.
- Completed Honor Guard for Larry Carr
- EMS Continuing Education was approved by State
- Shane Shipley is ready to come aboard if ok with Trustees. All 3 Trustees were ok with hiring Mr. Shipley
- American Red Cross needs to use Trustees Room if acceptable. All 3 Trustees agreed
<Discussion on water usage.> Maysville water is now charging $100-200 a month verses the $24 a month the Township paid for years. The change occurring after budgets have already been set for the year creates the issue.
- Ironspot is completed as of today.
- Alternator went out of the road grader, will take it and get it checked.
- Replaced 2-3 culverts since last meeting.
- Larry found the alley in E. Fultonham, one that dead ends brought up at last meeting.
- Culvert on Slack Road needs work.
- Discussion on Moxadarla and Panther
Trustee Smith made motion to have Birkhimer Paving grind and re-pave Moxadarla and Pather drive intersection and the cost should not exceed $7,000. Trustee Stephenson seconded. All 3 trustees agreed and motion carried.
- Georgia Pines is really deteriorating in places much faster than it should be. At the bottom of the hill the pavement is falling apart. While Birkhimer Paving is around will have them quote that as well and Stine patches.
- Jenkins and McFarland also have some holes that need to be considered.
Smith Mowing. <Discussion on mowing> Trustee Smith made a motion to bring on Mark Yeagle seasonally to complete mowing when his schedule permits. Trustee Elson seconded. All 3 Trustees were in agreement with the motion.
Fiscal Officer requested a fan and possibly a small room AC unit for billing room. All 3 Trustees were in agreement with the purchase of a fan and possibly an air conditioning unit.
Elson Nothing further.
Smith Nothing further.
Stephenson Nothing further.
Fiscal Officer reports:
· Presented correspondence from Auditor on Street Assessment billing issue for taxes.
· Presented payment registers, fund status reports, bank reconciliation, grass roots clippings.
All bills presented were deemed to be valid expenditures and were to be paid as presented.
The next regular township meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 11th, 2013 at 7:00pm in the township meeting room.
Meeting adjourned at 9:06 pm.
Newton Township has made every effort to ensure all the information listed on this website is accurate and up to date. This information can and may change without notice. Meeting overviews are meant to serve as short informational updates on township business. We can not be responsible for any inaccurate or omitted information.