NEWTON TOWNSHIP MINUTES 4-09-2013
Newton Township Trustees met in regular session on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 @7:00 pm in the township meeting room at the fire department. Those in attendance were: John Phillips, Township resident; Larry Taylor, Road Maintenance Supervisor; Larry Geiger, Craig Knox, Fire Department; James R. Smith, Robert Stephenson, and Charles R. Elson, Township Trustees; Derek J. Dozer, Township Fiscal Officer.
Meeting was called to order by Trustee Elson at 7:00pm.
Pledge to the flag was led by Charles R. Elson.
Agenda was approved as read.
Minutes were approved as presented.
Bob Mock – Water is coming up on Thompson Run Rd between Baughmans and his parents house. Thinks it is a waterline issue. Mr. Mock feels like anyone should have to bore under the road. It is still rough where the culverts were put in on many of the roads. Last question was about cutting down the tree that hit his truck stacks. Larry will get with Bob and let him show it to him.
Shawn Good – Has been wanting to get to a meeting. Work has kept him from getting in. Who is in charge of Crock Rd? Trustee said he is. Need 1 swipe on Huggins and Crock when bad. He wants his bank in front of his residence mowed.
Larry Geiger – Maysville Water cut into road near his house and it was pavement. Now gravel. Explained the need for a right-of-way permit.
Fire Department Business:
- Presented March numbers.
- Department of Public Safety is looking at charter for the department to be a training facility.
- Kitchen is 90% done. 3 weeks to be back up and available for use.
- GoKeyless locks are being programmed now. Would like to put 2 more on later.
- April 21st leave for FDIC. Bryan and Lutz can contact them if anything comes up.
- Been working on Workman and will be on Mahon next.
- Cold mix verse blacktop for culvert holes? Larry says blacktop is best option.
- Craig Knox asked if Larry can look at the pavement as you come out of the bays. It’s a mess. The FD is planning to do some sealing this year.
- Presented backhoe to consider from Ohio Machinery. Discussion ensued. Would plan on taking it in on trade for older Case backhoe. More discussion about usage and why needed. Especially for ditching Larry feels it would really be helpful.
Trustee Stephenson made a motion that once the backhoe is checked out by Larry and found to be in good working order that Township will pay no more than $16,000 toward the purchase of the 2008 Yanmar backhoe from Ohio Machinery, using the 580 Super Case as trade-in. Elson – Yes, Stephenson – Yes. Smith – No. Motion carried.
Smith – None.
Stephenson – Fultonham Town Hall is not Newton Township’s property.
- Danny Norman is complaining about sewage on FoxFire. Health Department has supposedly said it is Mr. Norman’s problem.
- Mrs. Norman called Stephenson about water coming from a neighbors house and she needs some rocks moved.
- Wisecarver culvert on Heckel Drive. Mr. Cox from State came down and said that it is the property owners problem.
- Bailey problem on Workman is fixed.
- FoxFire 5035 going to get a culvert.
- There is a problem with a culvert on Ford Road.
Elson – None.
Diana Lantz will be asked to clean an additional 15 hours per month for 3 to 4 months to catch up on cleaning and possibly paint some areas. Trustee Stephenson made the motion to allow Ms. Lantz to clean/work the additional hours. All three Trustees were accepting of this. Motion carried.
Elson – Nothing further.
Smith – Nothing further.
Stephenson – Nothing further.
Fiscal Officer reports:
· Presented correspondence from Shelly Materials that they had billed the wrong Newton Township and now sent us a sizeable bill for stone from 2012.
· EngleField Oil sent price increase notification.
· Presented certificate from AEP on recognition for installing energy efficient lights in 2012.
· Genesis sent letter to ask if Township had commercial drivers who needed tested for sleep apnea.
· Read letter from attorney/State referencing Paul Fisher’s Worker’s Comp claim which looks like it will be settled shortly.
Payment register, fund status reports, bank reconciliation, grass roots clippings.
All bills presented were deemed to be valid expenditures and were to be paid as presented.
The next regular township meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 14th, 2013 at 7:00pm in the township meeting room.
Meeting adjourned at 8:51 pm.
Newton Township has made every effort to ensure all the information listed on this website is accurate and up to date. This information can and may change without notice. Meeting overviews are meant to serve as short informational updates on township business. We can not be responsible for any inaccurate or omitted information.